How We Work
If you have a preference for a particular midwife, please let us know, otherwise a midwife will be allocated to you. This midwife will be your Lead Maternity Carer (LMC), and will provide your care during your pregnancy, labour, birth and postnatal period.
You will also meet the other midwives during this time as we provide back up for each other. There will be opportunities for this at the information evening, antenatal classes and when we visit you in your home at the end of your pregnancy.
When your midwife has time off, the other midwives in the practice provide all care that is required. Please discuss with your midwife her time off arrangements.
Your maternity record including your pregnancy and birth plan will be developed with you from your first appointment. You will keep these notes along with other relevant information and they will be added to at each midwifery appointment.
Your care includes:
- antenatal visits with your midwife at the clinic or at home if required.
- 24hr/day access to midwifery care.
- access to laboratory tests, ultrasound scans, prescriptions and referral to other health professionals as required.
- home visits from 36 weeks.
- contact and attendance when required throughout your labour and baby’s birth.
- a second midwife also present for the birth of your baby.
- postnatal visits in your home up to six weeks after the birth.
- ongoing assessment and care of you and your baby throughout this time.
referral to a Well Child provider of your choice.
If you have any questions, please